Hello White Oak Families,
What a year it has been! With only weeks to go, we are beginning our wind down of the school year and looking towards planning for the Fall. How time flies!
As the year winds down there is one very important task that still remains to be completed at White Oak. Beginning on May 18th, over the following two weeks, our third through fifth graders will participate in the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress.
I want to stress that this is a very important tool for me to use to assess your student’s progress at White Oak. I ask that you please help me encourage your student to do his or her best on the exam. The score does not impact your student’s grades, but the data that it will provide me and the entire White Oak team help us plan instruction as we continue in our transition to Common Core State Standards.
A recent news article in the Acorn reported that many students at one of the high schools decided to opt out of the exam. While I certainly respect the rights of families to make such a decision, I feel strongly that the school, and the district, missed out on a very important opportunity to get feedback on how our schools are doing in terms of delivering instruction. We need the data to help guide our instructional practices, so please reiterate the importance of your student taking the exam seriously. A simple message that we always encourage...just do your best!
Ways to help your child prepare for testing
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep before the test.
- Make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast the day of the tests and arrives to school on time.
- Maintain a pleasant environment at home; avoid unnecessary conflicts.
- Ensure that your child is present during testing. Children tend to perform better taking tests in their groups, rather than in a make-up group.
- Tell your child to do the best they can without putting too much pressure on them.I truly believe that all of our students will put forth their best effort.
Thanks in advance for your continued support of White Oak.
It is a great time to be at White Oak. Go Lions!
-Eric Anhalt, Principal