The way students dress has a direct impact upon their attitude and performance, and the attitude and performance of those around them. In order to maintain a respectful, positive, and productive educational environment, the school enforces a dress code based on California Education Code (35183.6) and the LVUSD Parent, Student, and Staff Legal Notification Handbook.
“Clothing or appearance that can create a class/school disturbance or distraction that interferes with the learning environment, or represents a danger to student health or welfare is not permitted.” (pg. 22)
Students should wear comfortable clothing that allows them to move safely and participate easily in a variety of activities such as art projects, sitting on the floor, and/or strenuous physical activity.
- Shirts must be long enough that if hands are raised over the head, a bare midriff will not be exposed.
- Shirt straps must be at least one inch wide (no strapless tops).
- Outfits that show, or appear to show underwear are not permitted.
- No baggy or oversized pants. Pants must be able to stay up and not touch the ground.
- Skirts and shorts must be worn with a hem that reaches the tips of the fingers when arms are extended down the thigh.
- No shoes with open toes and/or open backs (flip-flops, crocs, sandals, clogs, etc.).
- Sun protective clothing including hats, caps, and sunglasses are permitted outdoors.
- Hanging chains, dangling jewelry (earrings, necklaces, bracelets) that are safety hazards and/or distractions cannot be worn to school.
- Unnatural hair color or makeup is not permitted in school as it is a distraction to the educational environment.
- Unacceptable attire includes clothing that depicts: offensive or vulgar language;
- inappropriate pictures or innuendo relating to sex; advertisements for alcohol, cigarettes, or other controlled substances; breaking the law, violence, racial, or ethnic slurs.
Consequence for Non-Compliance with Dress Code
Any staff member may refer a student to the office to call their parent for a change of clothing. If a parent cannot be reached, the office will provide a T-shirt or shorts to be worn for the day. The borrowed items must be washed and returned the following day.